Saturday, January 19, 2008

Nothing is off-limits on Broadway

What. Shrek the Musical? I'm speechless.

Supposedly there's not much to be afraid of. David Lindsay-Abaire, who won the Pulitzer for his 2007 play Rabbit Hole, is doing the book and lyrics. Jeanine Tesori, who composed Thoroughly Modern Millie, a 2002 Broadway (and personal) favorite, is responsible for the Shrek music. And apparently Sutton Foster, who won a Tony for her leading role in Thoroughly Modern Millie is in talks to play Princess Fiona.

Plus, Christopher Sieber, who originated the role of Sir Dennis Gallahad in Spamalot is rumored to play Farquaad. (But he's probably more-loved, at least in my opinion, for portraying the cute, geeky dad of Mary-Kate and Ashley in the short-lived but freaking amazing "Two of a Kind". God, I miss that show. I can't believe they ended it JUST as Christopher Sieber hooked it up with the babysitter. So cruel.)

I mean...all of the above sounds AWESOME. Sutton Foster is probably one of my favorite stage actors ever, and I would leap at any chance to see her onstage. But let's get back to the original heresy at hand:

SHREK THE MUSICAL????? Honestly, what? I can't decide if I'm horrified or just really, really surprised that whoever it was picked...Shrek. You know, I think I'm just really surprised. How was it not Aladdin? How have we not seen that muscular, purple-vested, tiny-capped man on the Broadway stage yet. Is it the whole flying carpet thing? Or the whole Genie-exploding-out-of-a-lamp thing that has so many people shunning this wonderful movie?

I'm not horrified. Now that I think about it, I'm looking forward to see what they do with the Shrek costume and the innumerable number of backdrops and wheel-on sets that will obviously have to happen. I mean, let's face it: if Broadway can pull off Legally Blonde, anything can happen.

Credits: Broadway.com, Gavin Barker Associates

1 comment:

adela said...

I FREAKING LOVED TWO OF A KIND. SOMEONE NEEDS TO PUT THAT SHIT ON DVD.