Sunday, January 13, 2008

Billy Bush is the final straw

Even though the Golden Globes star party was heartwrenchingly cancelled (who doesn't love watching all those cool people eat dinner with one another and boozedly accept their awards?), I still tuned it at 9pm tonight to catch some winners. I was actually expecting a very, VERY boring press conference during which two, bespectacled, balding, stage-frightened men monotonously read off all the winners off of a single sheet of paper. I predicted no glam, no flashiness, just two balding men and all of the winners' names.

Instead, I was greeted at 9pm with two very glammed-up Access Hollywood "anchors." Oh, joy. Billy Bush and Nancy O'Dell were dressed in their Sunday best, eager to share with "you all at home!" the Golden Globe winners.

Okay. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's Access Hollywood. If there is another thing that I can't stand, it's Entertainment Tonight.

I know that parties and celebrities--and awards, too--aren't news. They aren't politics. They aren't international debate. I simply cannot watch or listen to "breaking news" and commentary about celebrities in that real-news fashion. Eck.

So it was a major disappointment to see Billy Bush and Nancy O'Dell share the news of the winners with me. I really, really, REALLY wanted a press conference, because then I would have been able to see what a press conference looks like. I really wanted two nervous balding men, not two hairsprayed, eyelined people stupidly hash out "the surprises" and "the totallies" of the evening. I returned to Baby Boom at the start of the first commercial break. I couldn't stand more than 9 minutes of the "Winners' Special!"

Come on, WGA. Come on, producers. Don't mess up the Oscars.

Love,
Someone who watches movies

No comments: